The Winter CSA is perfect for those who want the convenience of picking up a box of produce on a bi-weekly basis. They enjoy all types of food and are interested in trying new items. If you have been a member of our Winter CSA in the past, you can anticipate the same type of program.
Members of the Winter CSA are not permitted to alter the contents of their CSA box. However, new this year, we are offering an A La Carte program which gives members the opportunity to select exactly what they want each delivery. If you want complete control over the items you receive, read more about our A La Carte program.
Winter CSA members can anticipate to see in their box.
- Apples: You can expect to receive two varieties of apples in each CSA box; one may be tarter, the other may be sweet, or one might be good for baking and the other good for eating fresh. With each delivery, you can expect to receive about five pounds of apples. Honeycrisp, Gala and Ambrosia may be varieties included in the CSA box in the early months as they do not store well for extended periods. Other varieties we hope to include are: Fuji, Pink Lady, GoldRush, Stayman, York, Granny Smith, Braeburn, Idared and Mutsu. The regularity and quantity of each variety included in the CSA box will depend on availability after our farmers market season.
- Potatoes (white potatoes will be the majority, but sweet potatoes will be included occasionally)
- Apple Butter
- Pumpkin Butter
- Canned Peaches
- Dried Apples
- Jam & Jelly
- Bosc Pears
- Asian Pears
- Winter Squash or Pumpkins
- Eggs (from our neighbor)
- Heads of Lettuce (from our neighbor)
- A Thanksgiving Herb Bouquet
We also have plans to purchase additional vegetables from our neighbors and Tuscarora Organic Growers Cooperative to supplement our offerings, such as:
- Collard Greens
- Mushrooms (Button, Cremini, etc.)
If we have an early spring, you might receive Asparagus and/or Rhubarb in your last CSA box.
Meat items are never included in the CSA box. However, we do have ground beef, pork sausage links and Canadian ham available for purchase as add-on items in our Web Store.
Winter CSA boxes are valued at $35 per delivery.
Vienna: 13 deliveries x $35 = $455 + $10 one-time crate deposit + $465
Lorton: 12 deliveries x $35 = $420 + $10 one-time crate deposit + $430
DC: 11 deliveries x $35 = $385 + $10 one-time crate deposit + $395
Winter CSA boxes are a bargain value compared to the A La Carte purchases. A La Carte prices are greater to account for the extra time to prepare the customized individual orders. The produce included in the Winter CSA box is at a discounted price because our costs are less in preparing a bulk quantity of identical CSA boxes.
Please be sure to read the
Member Agreement & Policies
for more details about the Winter CSA prior to enrolling in the program.